“Four Great Witnesses” John 5
1. Many struggle to come to faith in the Lord Jesus
2. The Lord Jesus offered significant help to all who are seeking to find faith in Him
3. He offered Four significant Witnesses
THE WITNESS OF JOHN THE BAPTISER
32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true.
33 You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth.
34 Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved.
35 He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light. John 5:32-35
1. The witness of John is true
2. He bore witness to the truth
3. He was a burning shining lamp
4. John’s declaration:
“Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” John 1:29
THE WITNESS OF THE WORKS OF THE LORD JESUS
But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish—
the very works that I do—bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me. John 5:36
1. The works of the Lord Jesus were a greater witness
2. These works were given by God the Father
3. The Lord Jesus fulfilled all that God had given Him to do
4. The significance of His works
a) They bear witness of the Lord Jesus
b) They testify that God had indeed sent Him
c) The power and authority of God were obvious!
THE WITNESS OF GOD THE FATHER
And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me.
You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. John 5:37
1. The Father had indeed testified of the Lord Jesus
16 When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold,
the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.
17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:16-17
a) God declared openly
“This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased”
b) The Spirit of God came upon the Lord Jesus like a dove
2. This was an undeniable Witness
a) This must give great assurance
b) There must come confirmation of faith in the heart
THE WITNESS OF THE SCRIPTURES
38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:38-40
1. The searching of the Scriptures
a) The Jews search the Scriptures
b) They believe that knowledge of the Scriptures will result in eternal life
2. The Testimony of the Scriptures
a) They testify of the Lord Jesus
b) They identify Him as the Messiah
c) The prophets had spoken of the Redeemer God would send
d) That Redeemer was the Lord Jesus Christ
3. The problem with the Jews
a) They did not have the Word of God abiding in them
b) They are unwilling to come to the Lord Jesus for eternal life
AN AGE-OLD PROBLEM
41 “I do not receive honour from men.
42 But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you.
43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
44 How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God?
45 Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust.
46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.
47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?” John 5:41-47
1. The love of God was not in their hearts
2. There was unbelief even though they read the Scriptures
3. They sought for worldly things:
4. They rejected all that the Lord Jesus taught
a) About Salvation
b) About being Born-Again
c) About the Lord Jesus as the Messiah
d) To believe in the Lord would mean a great loss of face
i) They had believed wrongly
ii) Their hearts would be exposed as evil
1. To consider the Four Witnesses of the Lord Jesus
2. To come to Him humbly and receive Him as Saviour