“Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him” Psalm 2
1. The Blessings of God are not to be taken for granted
2. There are many problems and challenges in life
AN INTRODUCTION TO A MESSIANIC PSALM
1. Psalm 2 is known as a Messianic Psalm
2. There are subtle references to the Messiah
3. It is often assumed that the Messiah would be most blessed by God “automatically”
4. Psalm 2 highlights some of the Problems that the Messiah would face
THE MANY CHALLENGES IN LIFE
1 Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves and the rulers take counsel together
against the LORD and against His Anointed saying,
3 “Let us break their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us” Psalm 2:1-3
1. The Messiah would face
a) Conspiracy against Him
b) Evil plots against His life
c) Kings and rulers would conspire together
2. But all their plots would be in vain!
THE SOVEREIGN RULE OF GOD
4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The Lord shall hold them in derision.
5 Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, And distress them in His deep displeasure:
6 “Yet I have set My King On My holy hill of Zion.” Psalm 2:4-6
1. The LORD sits on His throne in heaven
2. He will hold the evil conspirators in derision
3. He has established the Messiah to be the King
4. He warns of His wrath against evil-doers
THE DIVINE DECREE OF GOD
7 “I will declare the decree: The LORD has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.
8 Ask of Me, and I will give You the nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
9 You shall break them with a rod of iron; You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’ Psalm 2:7-9
1. The Lord Jesus is declared “The begotten Son of God”
2. He will inherit the nations
3. He will rule with the power and authority of the LORD
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO TRUST IN THE LORD
10 Now therefore, be wise, O kings; Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD with fear, And rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son, lest He be angry, And you perish in the way, When His wrath is kindled but a little.
Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him. Psalm 2:10-12
1. A word of admonition given:
a) To kings
b) To judges
2. The challenge
a) To seek wisdom
b) To serve the LORD
c) To rejoice with trembling
3. To kiss the Son
a) In recognition
b) In submission
c) In reconciliation
4. The danger afoot
a) The anger of the LORD
b) The visitation of the righteous wrath of God
5. The Assurance of Blessing
a) It will be bestowed
b) It will be given to those who trust in the LORD
1. All blessings are found in the Lord Jesus Christ
2. There may be problems that may surface in life
3. Our encouragement
a) To trust in the Lord
b) To believe in God’s promises
c) To hold fast to faith in His sovereignty