“Abba, Father” Galatians 4-5
1. A huge controversy had taken place
2. There was a great divide between the Jews and the Gentiles
3. The question was whether Gentiles are allowed to call God “Abba, Father”
THE REDEMPTIVE PLAN OF GOD
4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Galatians 4:4-7
1. Those under the law (Jews) need to be redeemed
2. The work of redemption was through the Lord Jesus
3. Those who believe are given “the adoption of sons”
4. The Holy Spirit is given to confirm sonship
a) No longer a slave
b) But a son
c) And an heir of God through the Lord Jesus Christ
5. All Believers may call God “Abba, Father!”
a) A privilege not to be taken for granted
b) A prized treasure to be greatly appreciated
ALL SONS OF GOD
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free,
there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:26-29
1. All are sons of God
a) Through faith
b) In the Lord Jesus Christ
2. The significance of Baptism
a) We are baptised into Christ
b) Baptism is a very special symbol given by God Himself
i) For the purpose of identification as “sons of God”
ii) Representing induction into the spiritual family of God
iii) Confirmation that we truly belong to the Lord Jesus
iv)Through the Messiah we are Abraham’s seed
v) We are heirs of the promise God gave to Abraham
THE CHALLENGE TO STAND FAST IN OUR FAITH
1Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free,
and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything,
but faith working through love. Galatians 5:1-6
1. Standing fast
a) In liberty
b) The Lord Jesus has set us free
i) From the yoke of bondage to the law
ii) From the power of sin
iii) From the tyranny of Satan
2. Resist persuasions (from Jewish quarters)
a) To be circumcised
b) To keep the laws that are impossible to keep
3. Guard all that God has given to us
a) Our salvation
b) Our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ
4. The dangers that false teachings pose
a) Estrangement from the Lord
b) Falling from grace
c) Inability to appreciate the justification that God has given through faith
1. The doctrine of the Fatherhood of God is most precious
a) It must be guarded
b) It must be defended
2. The doctrine of the Fatherhood of God is to be practised diligently
a) Relate to God as Father
b) Commune with Him
c) Treasure this relationship
d) Cultivate it meaningfully