As the Scriptures say…(16)
The living water
Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, “Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” (John 7:38)
What does it mean by the phrase “rivers of living water”? The phrase definitely refers to the nature and manifestation of the Holy Spirit indwelling believers.
Whoever believes in me
- This is first of all an invitation given out to all
- This also is a challenge for us all
- That anyone believes in Jesus is a choice made
- Will you dare put your entire life into the hands of Jesus
- Are you determined to choose to abandon yourself to Jesus?
- Only those who believe in Jesus are entitled to the promise of the “rivers of the living water”
As the Scripture has said
- The Scriptures are the sacred writings
- The Pentateuch (Torah/the Law)
- The Prophets
- The writings
- The “Scripture” in its singular form stands for all of the [OT] writings
- The place of the Scripture must always be rightly acknowledged
- As a written authority
- As a prophetic instruction
- As a promise made
- As a book of worship
- What the Scripture has said is expected to come to its fulfillment
Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water
- The phrase “out of his heart” refers to ‘from within the believing person’
- The phrase “rivers of living water” help us recall and remember the water-pouring rite of The Feast of Tabernacles
- The water-pouring image is also reminiscent about the anticipated ‘rivers of living water’ foreseen by Ezekiel (47:1-9) and Zechariah (13:1).
- This promise of ‘rivers of living water’ is to be fulfilled (John 7:39)
- The promise was Scripturally revealed
- The promise is now personally re-affirmed by Jesus himself
- The promise comes to its fruition on Pentecost (Acts 1-2)
May we find ourselves manifesting the working of the Spirit of God in and through who we are! May all that choose to believe in Jesus exhibit the life of the Spirit, eternal and resourceful!
To Contact : [email protected]