As the Scriptures say (7)
God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth (John 4:24)
God is spirit
- What does it mean by the sentence, “God is spirit”?
- Essentially God is a spiritual being
- God is thus invisible
- God is not confined to any physical boundary, geographical and racial
- God transcends all
Those who worship Him
- There are some who do not worship God who is spirit
- They may worship any deities which are not spirit
- They may worship any images made
- They may worship anything except God
- There are those of us who worship God
- How must we worship such God who is spirit?
Worship in spirit and truth (Cf. 2Chron.16:9)
- We who worship God must worship in spirit and truth
- This is a prescription given as to how we may worship God at all
- This is a necessary requirement as we seek to worship God at all times
- The phrase “in spirit” may mean
- One’s attitudinal approach
- One’s wholeheartedness
- A denial of one’s external conformity to rituals and elements of religion
- A rejection of any religio-culturalistic approach of worship
- The phrase “in…truth” may imply that
- We worship God in accordance with the teaching of the Scriptures
- We worship God in the light of the truth exemplified by Jesus
- We worship God in the grace of God found in Christ Jesus (2Tim.2:1)
- We worship God with our loyal hearts (Cf. the example of Hezekiah-2 Chron.31:21)
GOD SEEKS SUCH TRUE WORSHIPPERS (John 4:23)
- Clearly the emphasis on the worshippers, not so much on the act of worship
- Do we worship God according to the teaching of the Scriptures?
- Are we loyal and truthful in heart and mind as we worship God?
- Do we seek to be true to God and His Word as true worshippers?
- God indeed seeks such true worshippers
- May we be found truthful in our worship of God!
To Contact : [email protected]