As the Scriptures say…18
Jesus as the Christ
Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also (1John 2:22-23)
Who is the liar…
- A liar is a false brother in this context
- A liar thus is not a true Christian
- Such a liar denies Jesus as the Christ
How is one accused of denying Jesus as the Christ?
- This one must have heard that Jesus is the Christ
- Nevertheless, he chooses to accept Jesus as the Christ of the living God
- For this reason, this liar is not merely an unbeliever, but a false brother
This is antichrist…
- An antichrist denies
- The Father
- The Son
- What is being implied by such a denial of the Father and the Son?
- A rejection of the doctrine of Incarnation
- A refusal of the doctrine of Trinity
- A refutation of the offer of Salvation in Christ
No one who denies the Son has the Father
- The doctrine of Trinity teaches us that God is three in one, and as such, only distinction, not division, among the three persons of the Godhead, is possible.
- One denying the Son ends up rejecting the Father, and vice versa
- Such a person will definitely reap the fruit of his own choice
Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also
- A person believes with the heart will also have to confess with her mouth (Romans 10:10)
- Confessing the Son of course
- Is motivated from within
- Is personal
- Is public
- Such a confessor will have God the Father as one’s Father in heaven
- He will be privileged to address God as Abba… (Rom.8:15ff)
- He will be taught to call God our Father
Let us seek to grow in our knowledge of Jesus the Christ (Matt.16). Let us never lose sight of the place of the Lord Jesus in our Christian confession.