As the Scriptures say…
True Disciples of Christ
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand (John 10:27-28)
True disciples of Jesus are close to him. Intimacy of relationship with Christ Jesus is that which characterizes them as such.
My sheep hear my voice
- A metaphor of sheep and shepherd is employed
- Shepherd in the context is none other than the Lord Jesus
- “My sheep” therefore is a group of disciples true to Jesus
- These disciples of Jesus hear his voice
- They differentiate the voice of Jesus from those of others
- They understand Jesus when he speaks to them
- They obey Jesus
And I know them
- There is a close communion between Jesus and his sheep
- The disciples of Jesus hear him every time he speaks to them
- And Jesus knows them well
- Many assume they know God
- Many presume they know Jesus
- Does Jesus know us at all?
- There is no question as to the fact that Jesus knows his disciples
And they follow me
- The whole point of hearing Jesus, as for true disciples,
- Is expressed in their followership
- Is culminated in their abiding in the words of Jesus
- They do not follow the dictates of their hearts
- They are not led by the influences of others
- They are closely following Jesus the Christ
And I give them eternal life…
- Eternal life then is not earned but given
- With that gift of God comes divine protection
- Therefore “no perishing of life” is in view for true disciples!
Closeness of relationship between a person and Jesus the Shepherd is characteristic of a true disciple. Christianity is indeed a religion of relationship! Let us find ourselves growing in our relationship with the Lord Jesus (Cf. Phil. 3:10).
To Contact : [email protected]